Sung Un Gang M.A.
- "The Making of Modern Subjects in Korean Theaters: Public Discourse Surrounding Women’s Theatergoing (1902-1937)"
- 03/2014-07/2014: Research Assistant. Guided creative writing course by the novelist Norbert Scheuer for the undergraduate students, Institute for German Studies, Comparative Literature Studies, and Cultural studies, University of Bonn.
- 11/2013-09/2014: Research Assistant. Conducted academic research and assisted courses for Prof. Norbert Gabriel, Institute for German Studies, Comparative Literature Studies, and Cultural studies, University of Bonn.
- 02/2013-present: Correspondent in Germany for Korean news magazine Sisa Journal (www.sisapress.com). Over 120 reports on German politics and society.
- 10/2012-10/2013: Student Assistant. Assisted courses and organized conferences including “125 Years of German Studies in Bonn” and “Carte Blanche,” Institute for German Studies, Comparative Literature Studies, and Cultural studies, University of Bonn.
Fellowships and Grants
- 03/2018-08/2018: Junior Fellow at the International Center for Korean Studies of Kyujanggak Institute, Seoul National University.
- 04/2015-09/2018: Scholarship holder of a.r.t.e.s. Graduate School for the Humanities, Cologne.
- 2018, 2016, 2015: IPID4all travel grant for academic researches, University of Cologne.
- 04/2011-03/2013: Scholarship holder of DAAD (M.A. study).
- 10/2009-03/2010: Scholarship holder of DAAD (Germanistische Institutspartnerschaft).
- Postcolonial studies
- Gender studies
- Discourse analysis
- Transcultural studies
- Cultural history of Korea
- Feminist criticisms of Foucauldian thinking
- From the Ugly Duckling to the Golden Goose: Yu Kil-chun’s Rediscovery of Play (Sandaehŭi) as a Profit-Making Business for the State, Korean Intellectuals In Between: Configuring knowledge in periods of transition, Concluding Conference of the Academy of Korean Studies (AKS) Overseas Leading University Project (OLUP) »Transcoding as Cultural and Social Practice«, Ruhr University Bochum, 06/2019.
- Cinema Kiss: Challenges of the Western Romantic Films in Colonial Korea, 8. Conference of Vereinigung für Koreaforschung (VfK), Goethe-Universität, Frankfurt am Main, 11/2018.
- Infectious Love: The Public Discourse Surrounding Female Students’ Theatergoing and Their Role in Eugenic Marriage in Colonial Korea, IFTR World Congress Belgrade 2018 Theatre and Migration, New Scholars’ Forum »Women in Theatre: Performance and Ideology«, University of Belgrade, 07/2018.
- Making Home and Theatre. The Female Audience and Their Husbands in the Half-World of Colonial Korea (1926-1937), The 3rd Workshop of the European Forum on Korean-Japanese History »Gender(ed) Histories of Korea and Japan«, University of Tübingen, 09/2017.
- Between Spectator and Spectacle. Transformation of Women’s Spectatorship during the Chosŏn Dynasty (1392-1897), Cambridge 2017 AHRC DTP Conference »Tradition and Transformation«, University of Cambridge, 09/2017.
- Is the Future Now? On the Status of Women as Spectators in Korea, or A Time Leap, Cluster Lecture »Die Zukunft des Theaters, Das Theater der Zukunft«, Institute for Media Culture and Theater, University of Cologne.
- From an Imperial Tool to Space of Engendered Modernization. Theatres in Colonial Korea, The 4th GRAINES Summer School, University of Cologne. 06/2016.
- The Test of Love. Imagination and Representation of Korea on German Stage in 1930, Colloquium and conference „Writing Global Theatre History«, Jawahalal Nehru University, 02/2016.